Noorthoek Academy relies on volunteers, people just like you, to help us serve our many students.
Classroom Mentors: Volunteers who connect with Noorthoek Academy students on weekly basis by tutoring them in their classroom. A Classroom mentor provides individual support for the Noorthoek student with their Computer, Creative Writing or other skill-based class.
- COMPUTER 100 – Fridays 11:00-12:30 Max 10 students 1:1 support for students learning basic computer skills. (10 openings in combination of GRCC IT students) Class description: Join professor Katilin Doyle for this self-guided class with mentor and instructor support so you can work at your own pace.
- BIOLOGY HUMAN ANATOMY LAB PILOT Friday 11-12:30 for 2 sessions only Oct. 4 and Nov. 1. Max 15 students. Support for students experiencing a science lab. (15 openings in combination with GRCC Biology students)
Class description: GRCC professor Leigh Kleinert and her students are coming to us (in her lab) and learn about the skeletal, muscular, nervous, cardiovascular systems in a lab setting. 1:1 experience.
Inclusion Class Coordinators: Need ONE volunteer who will support Noorthoek Academy students in a GRCC Inclusion Class when needed. Need to be present during classes.
- HEALTHY LIVING INCLUSION
Wednesday 9-10 am for 3 or 4 sessions – dates TBD (usually late Sept-early Nov) Max 5 students Class description: Join professor Melanie Schlele-Gady in her Lecture style class about topics such as Self, Family and Community and Social Connections, Mental Health and Stress, Sleep, Nutrition, Fitness, Body Mass Index/Body Composition, Body and Self Image, Alcohol and Tobacco, Drugs, Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, Lung Diseases, Cancer.
- TONE & STRENGTH INCLUSION
Wednesday 10:15-11 am for 3 or 4 sessions Exact dates TBD (usually late Sept-early Nov) Max 5 students. Class description: Pair up with GRCC mentors and professor Melanie Schiele-Gady to work out as a group with body weight exercises and with equipment like dumb bells, resist a bands, stability balls, kettle bells, floor exercises, etc.
- BIOLOGY HUMAN ANATOMY LAB INCLUSION Max 5 students.
Wednesday 11:15-1:00 pm for 6 sessions Sept 11,18, Oct 2,9,16, 30
Thursday 2:30 – 4 pm for 6 sessions Sept 12,19, Oct 10,17, 31 Class description: Join BIOLOGY 117 with GRCC professor Leigh Kleinert and learn about the skeletal, muscular, nervous, cardiovascular systems in a lab setting. 1- 2 students paired with 4-5 GRCC students at a lab table.
If you are interested in mentoring with the Noorthoek Academy program please complete the following application and email it to email@example.com.
Big Step Walk • Sat. April 25, 2020 • 9 am – 12 pm
There are many ways to help for groups and/or individuals.
• If you are interested in helping plan the event you can join the FRIENDS Committee. This fun group meets on the second Monday every other month from 12-1 pm in Nov., Jan., March, and May 1st.
• If you are interested in helping in a group, gather your volunteer team to setup (7:30-9 am), and/or cleanup (12-1 pm), assist the registration, raffle and and/or sales table (8:30 am – 12 pm), walk and gather pledges (10 am-12pm), Cheer on the walkers (10 am – 12 pm), or Organize a Wellness Activity Station (9:30 am-11 pm)
Can’t wait to hear from you! Contact Mary Ruth at firstname.lastname@example.org.