Noorthoek Academy relies on volunteers, people just like you, to help us serve our many students.
If you are interested in the following mentorship opportunities go to Mentorship interest form
If you would like to apply to volunteer go to the Volunteer application form
Volunteers who connect with Noorthoek Academy students on weekly basis by tutoring them in their classroom. A Classroom mentor provides individual support for the Noorthoek student with their Computer, Creative Writing or other skill-based class.
- COMPUTER LAB 100 – Fridays 11:00-12:30 ATC 221 Max 10 students 1:1 support for students learning basic computer skills. (10 openings in combination of GRCC IT students) Class description: Join professor Kaitlin Doyle for this self-guided class with mentor and instructor support so you can work at your own pace.
- BIOLOGY HUMAN ANATOMY LAB PILOT Friday 11-12:30 • Caulkins Science Center • rm 327 for 2 sessions only Oct. 4 and Nov. 1. Caulkins Science Bldg Max 15 students. Support for students experiencing a science lab. (15 openings in combination with GRCC Biology students)
Class description: GRCC professor Leigh Kleinert and her students are coming to us (in her lab) and learn about the skeletal, muscular, nervous, cardiovascular systems in a lab setting. 1:1 experience.
Volunteers who connect with Noorthoek Students when schedules align on an individual basis outside a class. You will provide individual support for the Noorthoek student who want to develop Computer, Creative Writing or other interests.
Inclusion Class Coordinators:
Need ONE volunteer who will support Noorthoek Academy students in a GRCC Inclusion Class when needed. Need to be present during classes.
- HEALTHY LIVING INCLUSION
Wednesday 9-10 am • Ford Fieldhouse rm. 213 Sept 11,18, 25, Oct 2 and 9 only. 5 students Class description: Join professor Melanie Schlele-Gady in her Lecture style class about topics such as Self, Family and Community and Social Connections, Mental Health and Stress, Sleep, Nutrition, Fitness, Body Mass Index/Body Composition, Body and Self Image, Alcohol and Tobacco, Drugs, Cardiovascular Disease, Diabetes, Lung Diseases, Cancer.
- TONE & STRENGTH INCLUSION
Wednesday 10:15-11 am • Ford Fieldhouse rm. 212 Sept. 11,18, 25, Oct. 2 and 9 only. Max 5 students. Class description: Pair up with GRCC mentors and professor Melanie Schiele-Gady to work out as a group with body weight exercises and with equipment like dumb bells, resist a bands, stability balls, kettle bells, floor exercises, etc.
- BIOLOGY HUMAN ANATOMY LAB INCLUSION Max 5 students
Wednesday 11:15-1:00 pm • Caulkins Science Center • rm 327 for 6 sessions Sept 11,18, Oct 2,9,16, 30
Thursday 2:30 – 4 pm• Caulkins Science Center • rm 327for 6 sessions Sept 12,19, Oct 3, 10,17, 31 Class description: Join BIOLOGY 117 with GRCC professor Leigh Kleinert and learn about the skeletal, muscular, nervous, cardiovascular systems in a lab setting. 1- 2 students paired with 4-5 GRCC students at a lab table.
Big Step Walk • Sat. April 25, 2020 • 9 am – 12 pm
There are many ways to help for groups and/or individuals.
• If you are interested in helping plan the event you can join the FRIENDS Committee. This fun group meets on the second Monday every other month from 12-1 pm in Nov., Jan., March, and May 1st.
• If you are interested in helping in a group, gather your volunteer team to setup (7:30-9 am), and/or cleanup (12-1 pm), assist the registration, raffle and and/or sales table (8:30 am – 12 pm), walk and gather pledges (10 am-12pm), Cheer on the walkers (10 am – 12 pm), or Organize a Wellness Activity Station (9:30 am-11 pm)
Can’t wait to hear from you! Contact Ric Underhile at email@example.com.