1. Substitute Teacher
Noorthoek Academy is looking for individuals to substitute teach during GRCC’s fall and winter semesters. If interested please contact Sandy Barraza, Education Director or by phone 616.634.8352.
The substitute teacher is the person assigned to work in the absence of the regular teacher to aid the students in understanding a specific subject matter. The substitute teacher has the skills and training needed to teach the lessons for the classrooms he/she is assigned.
The substitute teacher’s job description covers giving instructions and organizing the classroom environment so as to enhance student learning during the period of absence of the regular classroom teacher.
- Perform the duties of the main teacher.
- Have knowledge and passion for adults with learning challenges and other intellectual disabilities.
- Responsible for ensuring a favorable learning environment that is suitable to the welfare and development of the students.
- Work from teacher lesson plans regarding classwork and assignments.
- Direct the learning activities to accomplish curriculum goals and objectives as specified in the lesson plans.
- Make use of the instructional procedures and materials that are utilized by the teacher.
- In the event of an extended period of absence by the classroom teacher, the substitute should be able to work with the classroom aide to plan presentations that are developmentally appropriate.
- Maintain a safe and healthy classroom environment.
- Adhere to all procedures, guidelines and policies followed by the regular teacher.
- Adhere to a positive relationship with parents, pupils and classroom staff.
- Complete any necessary paperwork regarding any reports or information pertaining to the events of the day.
- Remain with students at end of class to ensure that they get safely to their transportation.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the Substitute Teacher Position:
- Certificate in teaching or substitute teaching preferred.
- Ability to comply with written and or oral instructions
- Ability to create an efficient working relationship with classroom personnel
- Proficiency in maintaining efficient classroom management skills
- Willingness to stand or sit for extensive period of time
- Able to establish a close and personal relationship with students
- Full capability to give instructions while the regular teacher is absent